Hello! Welcome you all to the
show called ‘Aapni Rasoi!’. You all must be wondering
what ‘Aapni Rasoi’ means. ‘Aapni Rasoi’ means – yours,
mine and everybody’s kitchen. That is why, ‘Aapni Rasoi.’. So let us begin today’s episode
with our celebrity chef. Varsha Vimadalal! – How are you Varsha, today?
– Fine. So Varsha, what are you going
to prepare today? – Thank you. We are going to prepare ‘Vaal Rice’ today. I had soaked these Broad beans.
I have peeled them. – I removed their skin once they sprouted.
– Yes. So we are going to prepare
this with rice today. – Okay. All the flavors in this rice are simple. – We will use a little oil for the tempering.
– Okay. And then we will put in the
ghee once it is ready. The main ingredient of
‘Vaal Rice’ is Basmati. Here, look, we have
boiled the Basmati rice. It is long grained and each
grain is separate. – Right. We use this aged Basmati for Pulao as well. Each of its grain is separate. So this is ‘Vaal Rice’ or you
can even call it ‘Vaal Pulao’. It is a Jain recipe and has simple flavors, and it is as good as comfort food. We will first take the oil. We’ll use the oil for tempering. We will now take some mustard seeds. The pan is heated up. We will add mustard seeds to it. Just after the mustard seeds get crackling, we will add cumin seeds to it. Okay. – They are still not crackling.
– Yes, they are still not crackling. – As we do the tempering for the Khichdi…’
– Yes. We usually prepare Khichdi in the cooker, – by mixing lentil and rice.
– Right. And then we add the tempering over it. But for this, we do the tempering
first and then add the rice. But before that, we have to add
Vaal (Broad beans), to cook them. What is known as ‘Usal’ (Gravy)
of this Vaal, we will be preparing that first
and then add rice to it. We will add the cumin seeds now. You should add turmeric powder
as per the colour you prefer. You must add a generous
quantity of asafoetida, as these Broad beans are hard to digest. They are also known as ‘Kadva Vaal’. I mean, it has a slightly acquired taste. We will add some curry leaves now. Now we’ll add some ghee to it. For rice or Khichdi, you
cannot do without ghee. We will now add coarsely ground
paste of ginger and green chilies. We will mix this well now. As I told you, that these
Broad beans are hard to digest, so, if you add a generous
quantity of ginger to it, – it makes it easier to digest.
– It becomes easy… yes. We will sauté this
and then add hot water to it, which I have put to boil. We should always add hot water to things – that need to be cooked well.
– Okay. Because not long after these beans
were mixed with the tempering, – they warmed up.
– Yes. If we add cold water,
its temperature would decrease, – Yes. – And it would take longer to cook.
– Right. So, I had already put water to boil and now we will add that water to it. We should keep the flame
high and allow the beans – to get cooked well.
– Okay. – After this, we will add the salt.
– Okay. You must add salt as per your taste. After adding the salt, we will cover the
pan with a lid and let it cook. – Okay. As it gets cooked, you must
check it by taking a bean in your hand and squeezing it. If it gets squashed
easily, it is clear that – they are cooked.
– Yes. So we will allow them to cook now. Approximately how long will it
take for them to get cooked? If you put the lid on
and keep the flame high, they will get cooked in
about 15 to 20 minutes. – Okay. So, we will allow them to cook now. – I think the beans are done now.
– They are done. – The water that was there…
– It has got evaporated. – That means there is no water left in it now.
– Yes. The water has dried up. Have a look at this.
The beans look so nice. – Yes. Our beans are almost ready now. – We will add the spices to it.
– Okay. – We will add Garam Masala to it.
– Okay. Then we’ll add some
finely-chopped fresh coriander. – We will now add grated coconut to it.
– Okay. What is the importance
of coconut in this dish? The importance is that, in the
‘Vaal Usal’, as we call it, ‘Usal’ actually means a kind of pulses, cooked with fresh coriander and coconut.
Only then it becomes ‘Usal’. – We’ll be adding rice to it now.
– Basmati rice. Yes, Basmati Rice.
Look at the beautiful grains. We will add all the rice to it. We will add very little
water and for two minutes… After it boils for two minutes
we will turn the flame off. And after that, I am going to eat it. – Right! We will add a little ghee to it now.
– Okay. It will enhance the flavor all the more. We have to mix it very lightly and sprinkle some finely chopped coriander over it. And also a little grated coconut. Our ‘Vaal Rice’ is ready now. How do you like the colour? Its appearance and aroma is
quite tempting and lovely. I am pretty sure it’ll
be delicious as well. So while I taste this,
you please head to your kitchens, and prepare this ‘Vaal Rice’
as soon as possible! And share it with your family, friends,
neighbours, relatives, and everyone. It’s now time to say goodbye. You will have to wait and see what
we’ll be cooking in the next episode. And for that, you will have
to keep watching Aapni Rasoi, on Shemaroo Gujarati! Bye!